“Love your neighbor as yourself.” Matthew 22:39
“And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.” Matthew 25:40
One of the ways we love God is by loving others. Loving others can be difficult though. It can be messy and it can hurt, but the rewards of loving other people can outweigh the costs.
With Valentine’s Day just around the corner, we are seeing all sorts of creative ways to show someone that you love them, but for me I like to keep things simple even when it comes to sharing love.
So here are some simple ways to let others know you love them:
1) Spend time with them
2) Take a meal to someone who doesn’t get out very often
3) Play with your children
4) Write a love letter to your boyfriend or husband
5) Pay for the meal of the person behind you in line
6) Hug someone
7) Write a letter to a friend that you haven’t seen in a while
8) Do you know someone who is a shut-in? Ask them if they would like you to do some shopping for them
9) Adopt a child from Compassion or World Vision
10) Send a letter and care package to a soldier overseas
11) Call up a friend and invite them to lunch during the week
12) Invite a single friend to lunch after services on Sunday
13) Offer to babysit for a couple or for a single parent
14) Bake cookies and take them to a neighbor
15) Donate clothes to a family in need
16) Volunteer at a shelter
17) Become a mentor
18) Call your parents and spend some time talking to them
19) Ask your grandparents to tell you about their childhood or about their youth
20) Listen to a friend who needs someone to talk to. Don’t try to solve the problems just be there and listen.
Loving others doesn’t mean doing big and elaborate things all the time. Most of the time it just means being there when they need someone.