Last Friday we had a sing-a-long. Today we are going to curl up with a few good books.
When I am upset, hurting, and in need of comfort, I love to curl up with a good book whether fiction or non-fiction. Sometimes for an escape and sometimes for understanding.
Today we are going to focus on a few books that have helped me when I am in need of understanding. They don’t always provide the answer to the question, “Why?” but they usually lead to me understanding myself and the Lord better.
So here are my 10 favorite books when I am in need of comfort:
1) The Bible
The Bible is the book I try to turn to first when I am in the need of comfort, and I usually turn to the Psalms.
2) The Path of Loneliness: Finding Your Way Through the Wilderness to God by Elisabeth Elliot
3) A Path Through Suffering: Discovering the Relationship Between God’s Mercy and Our Pain by Elisabeth Elliot
4) Where is God When It Hurts? by Philip Yancy
5) Trusting God: Even When Life Hurts by Jerry Bridges
6) So Long, Insecurity by Beth Moore
7) A Place of Healing by Joni Eareckson Tada
8) Soul Surfer: A True Story of Faith, Family & Fighting to Get Back on the Board by Bethany Hamilton, Sheryl Berk & Rick Bundschuh
9) God Loves Broken People by Sheila Walsh
10)Mended: Pieces of a Life Made Whole by Angie Smith