Welcome to “Thriving Thursday.”
One of the messages that I have been hearing a lot during the last few weeks is about finding your “why.”
What is Your “Why”?
Your “why” is the reason you do what you do or the reason why you don’t do something, but it digs deeper than the surface answers. Your “why” is what motivates and keeps you going when the road gets a little rocky. For example, my “why” for choosing a healthy lifestyle:
- Looking good
- Feeling better
- Having more confidence
- “Healthy is sexy.”
- Wanting to keep up with my niece & nephew
My “why” answers:
- I don’t want to just look good and feel good, but I want to be healthy.
- I can’t base my confidence on my looks or my actions or even my character, but I need to base it on who I am in Christ.
- As a child of Christ, am I being a good steward of what Christ has given me? He gave me this body. It is a gift from Him, and if I’m not taking care of it properly, it is like saying, “I don’t want this gift.”
- I want to take the best care of me so that I can take better care of others. I can’t give what I don’t have. If all I do is give, give, give, then eventually I’m going to burnout, but if I make time to take care of myself & receive from the Lord, then I’m going to find the strength to keep going even when it is difficult.
So what is your “why”? Why do you want to lose the weight? Or why do you want to start that new business? Or why do you want to get that promotion?
Why find your “why?”
Finding your why is so important for many different reasons, but here are the 3 main reasons for its importance.
- Your “why” is what will provide you the motivation to get started. I have struggled for years with the knowledge that I needed to start living a healthier lifestyle, but it wasn’t until I looked beneath the surface reasons that I was able to find the motivation to get started. When I really started looking at my body as a gift from God, I was finally able to find the motivation to start living a healthier lifestyle.
- Your “why” is what will keep you going even when you don’t think you can go any further. Let’s face it. The journey from here to where we want to be is going to be hard. There are going to be roadblocks at times, and there are going to valleys to travel through and mountains to climb. Your “why” is what is going to keep you going though. When you want to quit, when you want to turn back, when you want to stay where it is safe, just think about why you are doing this and forge ahead.
- Your “why” comes from your core values and beliefs and helps you to determine what your priorities are.
How do you find your “why”?
- Start journaling. Journaling is a great way to discover your “why.” Journaling allows you to be introspective and it allows you to dream and sometimes we realize the most wonderful & even slightly magical things when we write things down.
- Create a dream board or prayer wall. As you place a dream on your board, ask yourself “why” you want that and then right down your answer on the back or under the picture. Dreaming of getting married? Why? Dreaming of being a millionaire? Why? Dreaming of living on a tropical island? Why? Dreaming of traveling the world? Why? It wasn’t until recently that as I was creating a dream board that I realized that the “why” behind my desire to travel was learn people’s stories. Create your dream board to help you discover your “why.”
- Talk to someone about your dream. Whether you talk to a life coach, a therapist or a friend, tell them your dream in detail and start telling them why you want that dream to come true. You might be surprised by what comes out when you are explaining your “why.”
So what is your “why”?